This guide will help you create an Windows 10 or Windows 11 virtual machine from a fresh install.
Windows 11 22H2 or later requires using Windows 10, version 2004 or later for the ISO to be properly created. The current script for macOS will output a broken ISO. If you do not have a Windows computer, you can install an older version of Windows in UTM first and use that to create an ISO for a newer version.
- Find the edition of Windows you want to install on UUP dump. Once you downloaded and extracted the installer creator, you need to run
uup_download_macos.shfrom Terminal to generate the ISO. (Read “troubleshooting” if you are having issues here.)
Make sure you select arm64 if you are on Apple Silicon and amd64 if you are on Intel!
- Open UTM and click the “+” button to open the VM creation wizard.
- Select “Virtualize”.
- Select “Windows”.
- Make sure “Import VHDX Image” is unchecked and “Install Windows 10 or higher” is checked. Also make sure “Install drivers and SPICE tools” is checked. Press “Browse” and select the ISO you built in step 1.
- Pick the amount of RAM and CPU cores you wish to give access to the VM. Press “Next” to continue.
- Specify the maximum amount of drive space to allocate. Press “Next” to continue.
- If you have a directory you want to mount in the VM, you can select it here. Alternatively, you can skip this and select the directory later from the VM window’s toolbar. The shared directory will be available after installing SPICE tools (see below). Press “Next” to continue.
- Press “Save” to create the VM. Wait for the guest tools to finish downloading and press the Run button to start the VM.
- Follow the Windows installer. If you have issues with the mouse, press the mouse capture button in the toolbar to send mouse input directly. Press Control+Option together to exit mouse capture mode. Sometimes, due to driver issues, you can enter and exit capture mode and the mouse cursor works normally again.
Installing the Microsoft Store and UWP apps (optional)
Check this issue for more information.
In Terminal, go to the directory containing
$ cd path/to/extracted/files
Make sure that
uup_download_macos.sh is executable by running
$ chmod +x uup_download_macos.sh
Make sure you have the prerequisites installed
$ /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)" $ brew tap sidneys/homebrew $ brew install aria2 cabextract wimlib cdrtools sidneys/homebrew/chntpw
Then you can run
Boots into EFI shell instead of Windows installer
Make sure you generated the right ISO for your architecture. Note that arm64 is for Apple Silicon and amd64 is for Intel.
Installer crashes with BSOD
You are using a version of Windows that is too old. The build number should be 21390 or higher.
“This PC can’t run Windows 11”
If you get this message trying to install Windows 11, you can bypass it with the following steps:
- Press Shift+F10 to open Command Prompt and type in
regedit.exeto launch Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
- Right click on the Setup key on the left size and choose New -> Key.
- Create a key named
- Select the LabConfig key.
- Create two new values: Choose New -> DWORD (32-bit) and create
BypassSecureBootCheck. Set both values to 1.
- Close out of Registry Editor and Command Prompt.
- In setup, press the back button and then Next to continue installation.
Ping does not work
Note that due to libslirp limitations,
ping will not work and so Windows may think that there is still no internet connection.
Networking does not work
Make sure you installed the SPICE guest tools, which includes the network drivers.
If Windows 11 setup is stuck due to lack of network connection:
- Go to the language select screen (you may need to restart the setup if you are past this screen).
- Press Shift + F10 to launch Command Prompt.
- Type in
OOBE\BYPASSNROand press Enter.
- Your VM should reboot and at the setup screen you should see an option for “I don’t have internet.”
- Once Windows setup is completed, make sure to install the SPICE guest tools for network drivers.
SPICE tools did not install automatically
See this page for more details.